DeMarco Murray Retires After Seven Seasons – DeMarco Murray, a three-time Pro Bowl running back, has retired after seven seasons in the NFL. “It’s been a long time thinking, the last year or two, and physically, mentally and emotionally, I think it’s time for me to hang it up,” Murray said while making his announcement Friday on ESPN’s NFL Live. Murray, 30, was cut by the Tennessee Titans on March 8 after serving as the lead back for two seasons, including in 2016, when he was the AFC’s leading rusher with 1,287 yards. He had a career-low 659 rushing yards and tied for a career low with 3.6 yards per carry in 2017, primarily due to injuries and a lack of explosiveness. He failed to reach 1,000 yards from scrimmage for the first time since 2012. Murray had two years remaining on a deal that Titans general manager Jon Robinson renegotiated after acquiring him via trade from the Philadelphia Eagles in March 2016. Murray was set to earn $6.5 million in 2018 and $6.75 million in 2019, but the Titans will not take on any dead money by releasing him.
Hall Of Fame Won’t Honor Owens At Ceremonies – The Pro Football Hall of Fame will not acknowledge Terrell Owens individually during enshrinement weekend in Canton, Ohio, next month, the Hall’s executive director says. “The focus is on the guys who are here,” Hall of Fame executive director Joe Horrigan told the Talk of Fame Sports Network on Thursday. “There’s no reason to bring him up as an individual. He’s not here.” Owens announced last month that he would not attend the ceremonies, scheduled for Aug. 3-4, and would instead give a speech at his alma mater, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Owens will deliver his acceptance speech on campus Aug. 4.
NFL Star McCoy Accused Of Leaving Ex-Girlfriend Bloody and Beaten – NFL player LeSean “Shady” McCoy has been accused of being responsible for a violent attack on his former girlfriend. On Tuesday, a horrific photograph of the player’s ex, Delicia Cordon, went viral on social media. In the photograph, obtained by PEOPLE, the designer is covered in blood and lying in a hospital bed. The legal firm representing Cordon said in a statement to PEOPLE that she was attacked at around 3am Tuesday morning as she slept in the Georgia home that she shares with the football star. The pair is currently estranged. “Ms. Cordon was physically assaulted in the home by a male assailant who entered the home with no signs of forced entry,” the statement says. The man allegedly demanded a number of specific pieces of jewelry and when he could not get bracelets off her wrist he pistol-whipped her multiple times and her cousin was also struck, according to the firm. The graphic image was originally posted on Instagram by Mia Michelle Boykin, who claims to be a friend of Cordon. Boykin also accused McCoy, a running back for the Buffalo Bills, of beating his dog and trying to “viciously” beat his young son. McCoy has vehemently denied the allegations made against him. Representatives for McCoy did not respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.
Eli Manning’s SB XLII Helmet Up For Auction – One of the main pieces of evidence in the Eli Manning memorabilia fraud lawsuit that led to an undisclosed settlement is heading to the auction block. Manning’s helmet used in Super Bowl XLII, the game in which the underdog New York Giants upset the 18-0 New England Patriots to win the title, will be auctioned off by Goldin Auctions. “This is a very significant piece,” said Goldin Auctions president Ken Goldin. “Bidding for this will definitely surpass $130,000.” If it does, it will be the highest-priced football helmet sold at auction. A helmet worn by Rudy Ruettiger while at Notre Dame sold last year for $126,500. The highest-priced Super Bowl helmet sold at auction was the one worn by Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison in Super Bowl XLIII, when he had his record-breaking 100-yard interception return. That sold for $53,775 in 2012. Bidding on the helmet begins on Goldin’s website on Monday morning and ends in a live auction at the National Sports Collectors Convention in Cleveland on Aug. 2.
UPDATE: Julian Edelman’s 4-Game Suspension Upheld – New England Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman‘s appeal was denied Tuesday. His four-game suspension for performance-enhancing drugs stands. Edelman focused on two key issues in his appeal, which was heard on June 25. The first was that the substance for which Edelman tested positive wasn’t one recognized by the league’s drug testers. The second, according to a source, involved a mishandling of the documentation and delivery of Edelman’s test results. During the course of the investigation, it was learned that the NFL made mistakes in the manner in which the test results were handled. Edelman had argued that the mishandling of the evidence was one of the reasons he should have been exonerated. Edelman could end up pursuing an appeal of his case in federal court. Edelman, 32, missed the entire 2017 season after tearing his right ACL in the preseason. With his suspension, Edelman will miss the Patriots’ games against against Houston, at Jacksonville, at Detroit and against Miami. He will be eligible to return on Oct. 1 and make his season debut on Oct. 4 at home against Indianapolis.
Winston Moves On From Agent – Jameis Winston reportedly moved on from his agents on Friday,the Buccaneers QB for three games for violating the league’s personal conduct policy. Greg Genske and Kenny Felder, who generally represent baseball players, had previously been Winston’s representatives throughout his NFL career. According to Pro Football Talk, Winston is the one that initiated the move. However, reports also suggest that the change has been in the works long before the suspension was handed down. Winston now has to wait at least five days before hiring a new agent, but whether or not he has someone else in mind is unclear. Genske and Felder, of course, “negotiated” the former No. 1 overall pick’s rookie contract, on back in April. The final year of that deal will be in 2019, when the Buccaneers will be on the hook for $20.9 million. After that season, Winston will enter free agency if he doesn’t sign an extension with Tampa Bay.
Packers RB Jones Suspended Two Games – Green Bay Packers running back Aaron Jones was suspended by the NFL for the first two games of the 2018 season for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. Jones pleaded no contest to a marijuana-related charge in February, stemming from a traffic stop on Oct. 1 of last year. He entered a no-contest plea to the citation for driving with a controlled substance in his system in exchange for dismissal of tickets for speeding and operating without a license. Jones was the team’s second-leading rusher in 2017, his rookie season, with 448 yards. He also rushed for four touchdowns.
49ers Linebacker Foster Suspended Two Games – San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster was fined and suspended two games by the NFL for violating the league’s conduct and substance abuse policies. Foster issued a statement that said: “I accept the League’s decision and am sorry that my mistakes have hurt my team. I have a responsibility to the 49ers, our fans and our community, and I am committed to learning from this situation and making better choices in the future. The support I have received over the last five months has been humbling, and I do not take it for granted.” In June, Foster pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge related to possession of an illegal weapon, stemming from a Feb. 11 incident in Los Gatos, California.